Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Setting the Stage

The fifteen hour flight went much faster than expected with no hitches in travel. Having returned from Urbana in St. Louis just the day before, I was packing furiously until leaving my parents' for my LAX departure, but so far I haven't found that I've forgotten anything. Phew!

So let me get you up to speed on where I'm living...

Our apartments are a quick walk to the bus stop in a suburb of Brisbane called Taringa. They include a salt water pool and once a week maid service. Torturous, really. My roommates are great, one of which is my SLO roommate, Kira.

The city of Brisbane is beautiful. It reminds me a bit of Boston with a modern twist. There's a great outdoor mall and an area called South Bank where a man-made beach is located along with an art museum, gallery, and botanical gardens. The public trasportation system includes trains and buses and also a ferry called the City Cat, which gives way to scenic rides home with the night skyline draped behind.

University of Queensland is an incredible school, one of the top four in the country! Having been opened in 1901, the architecture is beautiful. I feel like I'm on a "real" college campus, and it inspires me to go somewhere with true atmosphere for my masters.

So, there ya have it. That's the setting for my quarter down under. Here goes...

No comments: